The cool insects of the Congo Rainforest

I decided to write about the insects of the rainforest because I feel like I might find some really cool ones. I'm hoping to find a type of Mantis. 

Insects live in different layers of the rainforest, some in the canopy and some on the forest floor and understory. They are like tribes. 

There are over 370,000 types of beetle in the Congo Rainforest alone! Some of the cool insects I have found have great names, including the Banana Spider and the Army Worm. The great thing about Army Worms is that they march together in a big group from crop to crop. 

Carpenter ants bury through wood with their teeth. They can lift seven times their weight with their teeth! Ants live together in main communities called colonies. 

Carpenter Ant

Insects can be very loud, especially at night. They sound like a whole orchestra coming in at different times. It would make me feel quite stuck in sound if I was there. We have asked permission from a sound recorder called George Vlad who has been all around the world recording amazing sounds of nature to use his recordings here. George has been to the Congo Rainforest and spent the night there. Here is one of his videos and sound recordings. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Primates in the Congo rainforest.

What does the Congo Rainforest look like?

All about me!